(Photo Credit - Laura McCluskey)
We had the opportunity to interview Girl Ray who just dropped their new album 'Girl'! Check out their new album and check out our interview!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
“Started when I was in high school. Friends and I got together and started playing on school holidays. Got a bit more serious and playing shows in London and now we're here.”
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
"It changes with every song. For this album it was a lot more deliberate. I would be sitting at my computer bringing up different synthesizers, etc. Then I'd demo it and bring it to the rest of the group."
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
"Pharrell, his beats are really great, Wiseblood, other than that a million different bands or artists." 4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
"Bought this really cool synth a Roland Boutique, its such a powerful machine. Used to love writing on the Omnichord. Other than that I mess around with good internal synths."
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when you do a show?
"It's definitely a different vibe playing these songs compared to our old songs. It's a bit more dancy because of the synth and drumbeats."
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
"That we want it to be something that's not made for an "in crowd", it's made for everyone and lots of people can enjoy it."
7. Can you tell us about the writing, recording, and promotion process for your new album Girls?
"We recorded in 2 hours from London. It was a really positive recording experience, especially compared to our first album, which felt rushed. We asked a lot more questions of what is essential instrumentation and what is not essential instrumentation."