Artist Spotlight - Aisha Badru
We had the opportunity to interview rising alt musician Aisha Badru! Her distinct style of folk-pop is instantly recognizable. Her lyrics are masterful and her vocals are captivating. You simply must check her out, but read out interview with her first!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
"I always loved performing songs in my living room for my mother when I was younger, but it wasn’t until high school that I began writing my own music. Three years into college, I decided to put my academic career on hold and go full force with seeing how far music can take me."
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
"I never sit down with the objective to write a song. Writing is a spiritual process for me. When inspiration hits, I grab my phone and sing the melody and lyrics into a voice memo. Later, I may go back to refine the lyrics, but usually the song is written on the spot in about 20 minutes."
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
"Alice Phoebe Lou with her fierce lyrical content and Yuna in her earlier music days when she played the guitar and sang very delicately."
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
"I’m more into writing than I am into instruments, so I’m not really someone who puts too much thought into gear. Plus, my set up is super simple. I normally just plug in my acoustic guitar into the sound system."
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue/crowd when you do a show?
"My performance is filled with storytelling, so the crowd is usually dialed in to every word. Since my vibe is soft and reflective, the vibe of the room usually reflects that as well. The thing I enjoy the least is performing at bars because it can be noisy and distracting. With that said, the thing I enjoy the most is playing at a venue where the bar and stage are in separate rooms."
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
"It's all from personal experience."
7. Do you have any upcoming things you would like fans to know about?
"I’m working on new music for the fall :)"