We had the opportunity to interview rising alt-pop star EZI! Her sound is sure to hook you instantly! Check out our interview and then give her music a listen! Also, be sure to check out her single coming out this Valentine's Day a cover of Berlin's "Take My Breath Away"!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
"My Dad is a classically trained musician and would teach from home. At first I would do i as a hobby around 10-11 years old and would record myself on GarageBand. I also wrote poetry a lot at this time. Around 15 I was acting and someone hear me sing an recommended I get into music, later I moved to New York City and this is what I pursued. I eventually got connected to producers and my current manager".
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
"It's always different, I'm constantly writing in my bedroom, on my phone, in conversation. I'll hear something and think 'that's a cool concept'. Sometimes it will depend on the song, at times I'll come in and a producer will have some chords ready and I will freestyle lyrics over it".
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
"I love artists who do more than one thing like Donald Glover (Childish Gambino). I have had a lot of creative interests in my career and I admire others that do as well".
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
"I'm learning to produce a bit more. I also play a little guitar and piano, both of which are self taught. I'm extremely excited because I just got this Fender semi-hollow body electric guitar that is mint green that I love, I just got it at a pawn shop".
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when you do a show?
"I just went on tour, I embrace a high energy, feel good vibe and want people to have fun and escape whatever is going on outside the venue. I want them to connect with others positively and just feel good".
"We were the opener on our tour and it was very much DIY, we didn't have our own lighting people or sound people. So much is up in the air before the start of a show, you have to embrace spontaneity, it's both my favorite and least favorite part of venues".
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
"It comes from a genuine and honest place. It's coming from a place to hep people connect to themselves. I never got into this to be the most famous person. It's super genuine, it's me. If you connect to the music, you connect to me".
7. Do you have any upcoming projects you would like fans to know about?
"Putting out a single, a cover of 'Take My Breath Away' by Berlin for Valentines. I'm working on a lot of new music, some of which is a very big departure from my current stuff".