Photo Credit - Ally Schmaling
We got to interview Squirrel Flower in advance of the upcoming release of her album 'I Was Born Swimming'! We're super excited for this album release. So to get you pumped for the album, check out our Artist Spotlight Feature with Squirrel Flower!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
"I started making music when I was a child, singing in choirs and teaching myself piano. I then picked up acoustic guitar, started teaching that to myself, playing open mics and concerts around Boston, and recording myself. In 2014 I moved to Iowa and started playing electric guitar and performing as Squirrel Flower."
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
"I bring a journal with me everywhere. Voice memos are my best friend. I'm always writing and always working through song ideas."
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
"So many, some key artists are Cat Power, Laura Marling, Tracy Chapman, Grouper, Nick Cave, Pavement, and Moses Sumney."
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love
to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
"I use pretty standard gear. I play a Fender Jazzmaster and use OCD, hall of fame reverb, and play a Fender Blues Jr. My secret weapon is the pedal I use for my voice--I use a guitar pedal from Source Audio."
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when
you do a show?
"My live shows are very...vibey. I love bringing people in and experiencing vulnerability and intimacy altogether. I enjoy when venues are clearly safe spaces and all ages."
7. Do you have any upcoming projects you would like fans to know about?
"My album that is about to come out! I Was Born Swimming is out on January 31st."