We had the chance to interview Salt Cathedral for an Artist Spotlight feature! This alt duo is making waves and are a group you should keep your eye on. Check out what they had to say in our interview!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
"Both Nico and I went to school for jazz composition in Boston and after that we started writing and producing our own music. We’ve been doing music for as long as we can remember."
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
"The process usually varies a lot because we don’t want to write the same piece of music twice. We experiment with production, beats, sampling sometimes and other times we write old school style with a piano/guitar and voice and then build it up from there. There’s always one basic started element that everything builds up from."
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
"Miles Davis has always inspired us as well as musicians like Herbie Hancock and Cayetano Veloso. Really any artist who wants to perpetually further their musicianship and artistic exploration is someone who we look up to."
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
"Our favorite gear we own is a Fender Rhodes we got the first week we moved to NY. We saw it and didn’t have the money but we but down a deposit for it and had to gather the money in one month. We did and we’ve had it for a long time. It’s always a great addition for texture and mood to any song."
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when you do a show?
"The vibe at our live shows is very energetic - it’s about an IRL connection through music. My singing is more expressive live that on recording because I can take freedoms to improvise and experiment. We will always enjoy a good sound system from a venue and receptive energy from a crowd."
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
"That we care about it, a lot."
7. Do you have any upcoming projects you would like fans to know about?
"Yes, our debut album is out in April! It has songs in Spanish and in English and had a broad range of world styles and eclecticism that showcases what Salt Cathedral is about."