We had the opportunity to interview Grammy-nominated indie rapper Raja Kumari! Kumari is an American-Indian rapper who has been nominated for Grammy awards for her behind the scenes songwriting ability. She is now forging a new path as an emerging star herself. You can check out her new EP BLOODLINE on Apple and Spotify and be sure to check out our interview below!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
Raja: "I was always a fan of music, and on the other hand I was a big fan of philanthropy. When I saw the success of N*SYNC had and how they were able to utilize their platform to give back, I realized the only way I’d be able to go give back as much as I wanted was to become a pop star."
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
Raja: "I believe the melody is in the air when you walk in the room. When the producer starts to lay down a few beats, the first thing I do is hum out the melody, then the lyrics come."
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
Raja: "Lauryn Hill, Missy Elliot, Beyonce"
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
Raja: "I believe the voice is the greatest instrument."
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when you do a show?
Raja: "I always put marigolds on the stage and around my mic stand to set the vibe right when you walk in. The vibe is fun – I want people to completely let loose, dance and experience a little bit of culture. The fans are the most important parts of a venue. No matter what city you’re in, when you can hear your fans singing back your songs, it’s the greatest feeling in the world."
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
Raja: "That it comes from the heart. The songs in my EP BLOODLINE were the songs that I needed to hear when I was going through a rough time."
7. Do you have any upcoming projects you would like fans to know about?
Raja: "I’d love for you to check out my EP, BLOODLINE, and to tweet me your favorite lyrics from the collection: @TheRajaKumari"