(Photo Credit: Loroto Productions)
We had the opportunity to interview alt-star Frankie Cosmos (i.e. Greta Kline) about her roots, her gear, and her current project Haunted Items! Frankie Cosmos' third album Vessel came out in March of last year on Sub Pop to critically favorable reviews. Frankie Cosmos' sound blends between bedroom pop and indie. Check out what Frankie Cosmos had to say in our interview below!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
"I started piano lessons when I was around 6 years old, and have just been playing music ever since. So about 18 years."
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
"It changes from song to song! Usually I will write lyrics first, which is something I can do anywhere as long as I have some quiet thoughtful time. Then when I get home I can piece together the lyrics, melodies, chords."
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
"I don’t really have any favorite gear, I like to think that I could play the songs with whatever is around. But I do love my guitar which is just really easy to play. It’s a Danelectro and was a hand-me-down from my old band mate Vishal (I played drums in his band Milk Ghost, 8 years ago). His friend got it at a thrift store, so I don’t know what year it was made or anything. I just love to play it."
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when you do a show?
"The vibe is very personal. I don’t feel at all like a “star” on stage. I feel like it’s all about hanging out with the audience and opening up to them, and hoping they will open up too. It’s definitely better when a venue has the ability to make us sound good, but I’ve also played wonderful shows in random basements or houses. So it just depends on the day!"
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
"The songs are very personal to me, and I’m happy to put it out and share it, but it’s not for everyone. I’m not a highly trained singer or player, so it’s not about that. If you like Frankie Cosmos, you probably have a personal connection to the songs, and we would probably be friends. And if you don’t like it, just don’t listen to it!"
7. Can you tell us about your new project Haunted Items?
"Haunted Items are 9 songs I made on just piano and vocals. I recorded it this winter with my friend Mark, in 10 hours. I just had these songs built up in me and I felt like I needed to get them out of my head and into the world, so now they are!"