We interviewed alt artist MINKA for an Artist Spotlight Interview. MINKA just dropped a new EP titled End of the Affair on February 14 and will be releasing two EP's in March (details below!). His sound blends alt, electronic, and pop for a sound unlike anything else.
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
"i wouldn’t say i pursue music. no, music pursues me - like a hound chasing after an escaped prisoner. once it sinks its teeth into my flesh, i feel compelled to create."
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
"i enjoy picking up instruments i have no idea how to play. in those moments, i can recapture my innocence. my most genuine self emerges when i flow without expectation or restriction. there’s always room to impose rules later."
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
"it all begins and ends with Prince. J.S. Bach is also pretty deep."
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so,
what’s the story on them?
"one of my favorites is a toy keyboard (Yamaha VSS-30) that has a built in microphone for you to sample your voice. it’s lofi as hell, but it has a unique character that i haven’t heard replicated anywhere else. very spooky sounds."
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when you do a show?
"an aura of sensuality washes over the audience. people look into the eyes of strangers and see their souls. collectively, a heightened kinesthetic awareness allows for new forms of movement – a dance in search of the sublime."
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
"i want them to know that I’m always 100% serious. i am never joking."
7. Do you have any recent/upcoming projects or performances you would like fans to know about?
"in the live arena, we’re throwing a Masquerade Ball on Friday, March 15 @ Warehouse on Watts in Philadelphia."
"in the realm of recorded material, we’ll be releasing two EP’s in the coming month. Mysteries of the Heart, coming out March 29, celebrates the inner freak through R&B and dance tunes. on April 12, we present Reincarnation, a collection of 19th century classical music reimagined through a modern lens."