(Photo Credit - Ben Conant)
We had the opportunity to chat with New Hampshire based psychedelic-folk group Party of the Sun! They just recently dropped a brand new LP titled 'Trekker' that you definitely need to check out. But first, check out our interview with the Ethan McBrien and Rory Hurley AKA Party of the Sun!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
"I began playing guitar at age 11 and started writing songs not long after. Rory began playing at age 3... We’ve been collaborating and playing in bands since 10th grade, 14 years together."
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
"I try and write as much as I can, I tell myself “it’s not about having good ideas, just capturing those that come as often as possible.” This makes for some duds, but I think duds are key, plus they’re good for a laugh down the road. For me, a song is usually the product of a bunch of “almost” songs. Once the lyrics and form are written I send to Rory. He produces the tracks, arranging parts, engineering, mixing and mastering. Then, this great community of musicians helps us record, Garrett Cameron- drums, Jordan Cusano - drums, Colin Bradley - pedal steel, Duncan Pelletier - keyboards, Rachel Allen - vocals."
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
"Rachel Allen, George Krikorian, Jackie Griffith, Jocelyn Brown, Jordan Cusano, Duncan Pelletier, Dan O’Rourke, Garrett Cameron, Colin Bradley, Nyiko Beguin, Olivia Bregani, Ben Conant, Jay Reilly."
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
"Hall of Fall Reverb - TC Electronic, deep range. Cali 76 - Origin Effects, stellar compressor, very quiet. Martin OM, beauty."
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when you do a show?
"A folk show with space for dancing."
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
"We hope you enjoy it."
7. Tell us about the writing, recording, and promotion process of your debut album Trekker.
"Unlike our first release, all of these songs were written after Party of the Sun was established, our vision was solidified. We could more easily discern what songs wanted to be together and how they wanted to be produced. The spirit of this album comes from the years Rachel and I spent living in the Monadnock Farm House in Marlborough NH where we recorded early versions of Sea Surrounds and Out in the Air. It’s an album about migration and transition, both in content and form. We’re excited to share it. Our manager and lifelong friend Nyiko Beguin runs point on promotion via his label Trailing Twelve Records, we are so grateful for his work and guidance; helping us set, build and reach long term goals."