We had the opportunity to get early access to Julia Jacklin's fantastic sophomore album Crushing set to be released on February 22, 2019 on Polyvinl Record Co. If you're into singer songwriter driven music, you're going to love Jacklin's stuff, it is melodically great and lyrically stunning. She will be touring extensively in support of her album, so I've taken the liberty of including the dates for you below. Special thanks to Polyvinyl Record Co. for access!
Julia Jacklin - Crushing Review
1. Body - A slow melody that highlights Jacklin's vocals is present throughout this track. It's a slow burner that builds anticipation of what is to come on the rest of the album.
2. Head Alone - Jacklin's vocals are accompanied by a bright guitar line here. The breakout on the chorus is absolutely magnificent. It's so well done, it might be one of the best hooks I've heard this year. The guitar and the
uptick on Jacklin's vocal register just downright works. Lyrically, this song is so important, with Jacklin singing “I don’t want to be touched all the time/I raised my body up to be mine”. This song is discussing the notion of consent and touch and how often lines and boundaries are crossed when female artists are concerned.
3. Pressure to Party - Another bright sounding banger with great guitar and vocals throughout. This is a fun one you can break out and dance to.
4. Don't Know How to Keep Loving You - A slower tune melodically, which allows Jacklin's vocals to glide gracefully over the tune. This song is clearly about heartbreak, but the slow kind. Lyrically, the narrator falls out of love as she knows her partner better. Love lost is still heard but a slow burn of falling out of love is like the slow twist of a knife and this song captures that feeling perfectly.
5. When the Family Flies In - A slow moving piece of piano driven music with fantastic vocals. The theme again dealing with loss and how those around you fly in to be by your side. Saying goodbye is never easy, this song captures this in it's heart aching piano and breathtaking vocals.
6. Convention - This song is wittingly charming if you pay attention to the lyrics. You'll see that Jacklin has a sharp sense of humor to her writing style. It's also melodically simply wonderful.
7. Good Guy - Another slow jam where Jacklin displays her one of a kind vocals and her wide range. She delicately balances almost at a falsetto at points and glides back an forth effortlessly. Thematically, we are dealing with interpersonal relationships, which Jacklin is able to so perfectly describe the breakdown when it happens.
8. You Were Right - A faster paced offering from Jacklin here with some fun harmonies and great guitar lines throughout the track. This track seems to delve into issues of self worth and self-esteem in terms of how those can be impacted by interpersonal relationships sometimes.
9. Turn Me Down - This song is a slower but musically deliberate tune. The working parts in the song seem to move as if they were clockwork, with the percussion seeming to be the main driver of the rhythm here. Thematically, it's a great song about affection that is not returned. The song is divided into two parts, with the more rhythmatic part coming first, then we are treated to a vocal expose from Jacklin on a buildup that has a fantastic finish to this great song!
10. Comfort - With a melody that sounds almost sing songy (very soft acoustic guitar), it's basically window dressing for Jacklin's vocals on this track. She shows off vocally throughout with her dynamic vocals. A slow burner, but fun way to end the album.
Overall Thoughts - Thematically complex, melodically diverse, and vocally phenomenal, Jacklin's Crusher is an achievement on all fronts musically. I had high expectations for this one and they were delivered on and then some. Jacklin is a rising star to keep an eye on, she'll be doing some dates with Lord Huron and Shakey Graves this summer. Those are coveted opening slots with great acts, but it won't be long until younger acts will be fighting to open for her, she's got the talent to rise quick. Only two albums into her career, with a head full of momentum from this strong release, the sky is the limit.
Rating - 5/5
JULIA JACKLIN TOUR DATES 02/21 - Perth, Australia @ Perth Festival 02/27 - Christchurch, New Zealand @ Blue Smoke 02/28 - Dunedin, New Zealand @ Captain Cook 03/01 - Auckland, New Zealand @ Hollywood Cinema 03/02 - Wellington, New Zealand @ San Fran 03/05 - Wollongong, Australia @ UOW Unibar 03/06 - Canberra, Australia @ ANU 03/09 - Brisbane, Australia @ Triffid 03/10 - Adelaide, Australia @ WOMADelaide 03/12 - Hobart, Australia @ Spiegeltent 03/14 - Melbourne, Australia @ Forum Theatre 03/15 - Sydney, Australia @ Metro Theatre 03/16 - Newcastle, Australia @ Cambridge Hotel 03/26 - Brighton, UK @ Haunt [SOLD OUT] 03/27 - Bristol, UK @ Fleece [SOLD OUT] 03/28 - Birmingham, UK @ Castle & Falcon 03/29 - Manchester, UK @ Yes [SOLD OUT] 03/30 - Dublin, Ireland @ Whelans 04/02 - Glasgow, UK @ Stereo [SOLD OUT] 04/03 - Leeds, UK @ Belgrave Music Hall 04/04 - London, UK @ Electric Brixton 04/05 - Paris, France @ Les Etoiles 04/08 - Brussels, Belgium @ AB Club 04/09 - Amsterdam, Netherlands @ Paradiso-Noord 04/10 - Cologne, Germany @ Blue Shell 04/11 - Hamburg, Germany @ Molotow Sky Bar 04/12 - Copenhagen, Denmark @ Vega 04/15 - Berlin, Germany @ Privatclub 04/16 - Munich, Germany @ Milla 04/17 - Zurich, Switzerland @ Bogen F 04/24 - New York, NY @ The Bowery Ballroom # 04/25 - Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda's # 04/26 - Allston, MA @ Great Scott # 04/27 - Montreal, QC @ Bar Le Ritz PDB # 04/28 - Toronto, ON @ Horseshoe Tavern # 04/30 - Washington, DC @ DC9 # 05/01 - Richmond, VA @ The Camel # 05/02 - Carrboro, NC @ Cat's Cradle Back Room # 05/04 - Atlanta, GA @ Shaky Knees Festival 05/06 - Nashville, TN @ Third Man Records # 05/08 - Chicago, IL @ Schubas Tavern # 05/09 - Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry # 05/10 - Omaha, NE @ Reverb Lounge # 05/11 - Kansas City, MO @ recordBar # 05/13 - Denver, CO @ Larimer Lounge # 05/14 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge # 05/17 - Vancouver, BC @ Fox Cabaret # 05/18 - Seattle, WA @ Tractor Tavern # 05/19 - Portland, OR @ Mississippi Studios # 05/21 - San Francisco, CA @ Swedish American Hall # 05/23 - Los Angeles, CA @ Teragram Ballroom # 06/03 - Dallas, TX @ Club Dada 06/04 - Austin, TX @ Barracuda (Indoors) # 06/05 - Houston, TX @ White Oak Music Hall (Upstairs) # 06/06 - New Orleans, LA @ Gasa Gasa # 06/08 - 06/09 - Nelsonville, OH @ Nelsonville Music Festival 07/12 - Louisville, KY @ Forecastle Festival 07/18 - 07/21 - Suffolk, UK @ Latitude Festival 07/30 - Missoula, MT @ Kettlehouse Amphitheater $ 07/31 - Boise, ID @ Outlaw Field at Idaho Botanical Garden $ 08/03 - 08/04 - Happy Valley, OR @ Pickathon 08/05 - San Diego, CA @ Humphrey's $ 08/08 - Bend, OR @ Athletic Club of Bend $ 08/09 - Portland, OR @ Oregon Zoo Amphitheatre $ 08/11 - Redmond, WA @ Marymoor $ 08/15 - 08/18 - Powys, UK @ Green Man Festival # w/ Black Belt Eagle Scout $ w/ Lord Huron & Shakey Graves