We had the opportunity to interview emerging alt-rock artist Skrizzly Adams! The New Jersey born singer songwriter's music has influences in classic American rock as well as hip-hop and pop. It makes for an eclectic sound that just works. Check out what he had to say below!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
I’ve done music since I was extremely young. I always say, music chose me, I didn’t choose music. It was something I just always did. I started working professionally in music when I was 19 as a producer and engineer. I’m 27 now.
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
I never try to force a song. I always let it just happen. It usually starts with some type of small idea (whether it’s a lyric, a melody, a riff, or just a concept). I tend to harvest tons of starter ideas and never immediately pursue them. Overtime songs and records just start to form. I feel very lucky that songs kinda just seem to pass through me.
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
Kanye West, Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Neil Young, Rolling Stones
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
Definitely my mellotron. Mellotrons are just amazing instruments; there’s tons of softwares that emulate them, but nothing beats the real thing. A few years ago I ordered a real analog one from Europe and it’s made its way on to every record of mine since then.
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when you do a show?
I’m definitely a very high energy vocalist, whether I’m with a band or solo acoustic, I’m belting and sweating it out all night. I’m also know for playing very long shows, sometimes passing the three hour mark. Best part about a show is when the whole crowd knows every word to every songs. It’s an amazing feeling.
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
I give it my all on every song and recording I make. I put my myself through hell doing so, but it’s always worth it. I feel genuinely blessed that so many people enjoy the music.
7. Do you have any upcoming projects you would like fans to know about?
Debut album coming next Spring!
FMI on Skrizzly Adams visit his website.