(Music Video: "Minefield Brainwaves")
Lofts reached out to us regarding their music after being referred by our contributor Tess, aka Bad Saint. We listened to their stuff and they are a great mix of alt/indie/and rock with obvious influences rooted in Death Cab for Cutie and Radiohead. The group hails form Chicago, Illinois and includes Daniel McConeghy, Regi Drake, Chris Kaczmarek, Conor Fortune, and Zach Gordon. Check out their music and check out our interview below!
1. How did you come to pursue music and how long have you been at it?
We started this band when we were studying in college our freshman year. So for about 6 years. Our school was an arts college and we were all in the music program.
2. Could you walk us through your process of writing music?
Typically it starts with Daniel, he’ll get an idea and then present it bare bones. The band then adds their parts and everyone discusses likes/dislikes, cites inspirations to try to chase after, until we come to an agreement.
3. What artists have inspired you in your career?
Foals. Death Cab For Cutie. The Paper Kites. Manchester Orchestra. Mainly Death Cab and Foals. Foals for their upbeat reckless arrangements, Death Cab because Ben Gibbard has always been a huge hero of Daniel’s. Lyrical depth is big, and also the emotional impact they can achieve without over complicating the sound.
4. Do you have any favorite music gear (guitars, amps, effects pedals, keyboards, etc.) that you love to use? If so, what’s the story on them?
We are pretty simple when it comes to gear, Fender guitars and a mix of pedals. We’re big into delays like the Memory Man or Eventide TimeFactor. Reverbs like the Cathedral. We have a lot of overdrive options just because we’re kind of picky with drive.
5. Can you describe the vibe at your live shows? Also, what do you enjoy most about a venue when you do a show?
Our vibe changes from atmospheric and washy, to bold and danceable. We believe in serving the song and giving it what it needs in the moment. We love how being at a concert makes you loosen the reigns and makes you just enjoy yourself. You get to go on autopilot and just let yourself go.
6. What is one thing that you want the public to know about your music?
We have all sorts of musical elements going on, but what’s most important is the vibe and how it makes you feel. Daniel is a pretty biographical writer and we’re a tight knit group of pals. We’re always watching each other take on the challenges of life, and that gives us great stories to sing.
7. Do you have any upcoming projects you would like fans to know about?
Our debut EP just hit the stream-a-verse on 7/23 (you can find it on Spotify/Apple).
FMI on Lofts, visit: https://open.spotify.com/album/3wNHGJpEWzkj7sNZ35nT3n or visit http://wearelofts.bandcamp.com/